Why do my workers need Earplug Fit Testing?
Fit testing of ear plugs and hearing protection is now mandatory on a number of sites across many industries Australia wide, fit testing to Australian Standards AS/NZ 1269.3:2005 Occupational Noise Management, Part 3 Hearing Protector Program ensures that the supplied earplugs providing suitable protection. Earplug fit testing conducted by Environmental Site Services is quantitive testing and therefore actual attenuation is measured, rather than relying on subjective feedback from the worker.
How much protection do employees actually achieve with their earplugs, ear defenders, earmuffs?
Employers and Safety professionals have a universal challenge in protecting the hearing of their noise exposed employees. As hearing protection rating methods can be based upon idealised laboratory conditions designed to test the capability of the protection, published attenuation ratings have been criticised for being too generous in their estimation of noise attenuation. Studies indicate that while some workers may achieve the published attenuation on the package, many workers do not. This has led to a variety of inappropriate estimating methods being applied to determine if hearing protection is adequate. Determining whether workers have optimal real world attenuation for their noise environment is critical to the success of an occupational hearing conservation program.
Why is quantitative Earplug fit testing the best method?
Quantitative Earplug Fit Testing / Hearing Protection Fit Testing measures every employee’s unique level of protection and takes the guesswork out of managing compliance in your hearing conservation program.
- It is very fast, it’s quantitative and it’s objective
- Personal Attenuation Rating (PAR) of hearing protectors is measured
- Documentation for compliance reporting can be provided
Some of the benefits of Earplug Fit Testing / Earmuff Fit Testing with Environmental Site Services
- Integrating hearing protection fit testing into your hearing conservation program benefits everyone from new hires to high-risk workers
- Establish baseline values for new workers
- Helps identify workers receiving inadequate protection that leaves them at risk of threshold shifts
- Validate high protection levels required by workers in high noise areas
- Fit, train and motivate
- Provides tool for training proper fitting techniques and to assess proficiency
- Motivates employees by helping them realise the control they have in protecting their hear
- Tests both ears simultaneously in less than 5 seconds
- Earmuff and Earplug testing capability
- Tests at 7 standard frequencies – 125Hz to 8000Hz
- Science-based, objective, quantitative testing
- Assess & Manage
- Improves long term performance of your hearing conservation program
- Indicates employees needing further fit training or alternative hearing protectors
- Input your noise exposure data and into Environmental Site Services Software can help you identify the most appropriate hearing protection and help minimise over/under protection
How long does Earplug Fit Testing / Earmuff Fit Testing take and where is it conducted?
- A Earplug Fit Test or Hearing Protection Fit Test takes approximately 10mins this includes information and training on the correct fit and information for when repeat testing is required
- Earplug Fit Testing of Hearing Protecting Fit Testing can be conducted at our premises, at yours or at your client’s site.
Who requires Earplug fit testing or Hearing Protection Fit Testing?
Anyone who wears Earplugs or Earmuffs as a form of hearing protection, particularly workers in:
- Fire and Rescue